The Russell Cook Edition Extended Range (RCE-XR) builds on all the perks and cutting-edge design of our Russell Cook Edition (RCE) by including an even wider range of notes and upgrade options. Officially introduced to the market in 2017, this is one of our newest innovations receiving high praise from professional dulcimer players.
We’ve replaced the chromatic bridges with extended range bridges, increasing the range to four and a half octaves. The bass is extended down to D2, an entire octave below the D3 found on the standard bass bridge. The treble is extended up to A6, two whole steps higher than the RCE and three whole steps above the Ultralight.
On our RCE-XR, the extended bass is more intuitively located to the right of the bass bridge. As you move from upper left to lower right, the notes logically become lower in pitch. For those who prefer their extended bass on the left, we also offer an XR-Left option.
This versatile, compact design conveniently fits in the overhead of many larger Airliners and weighs approximately 13 pounds!
Range and Configuration
- D2 – A6 for 4.5 total octaves and nearly 4 fully chromatic octaves
- 17/17+16 extended range configuration
- Extended range bass bridge available on either right or left side — right is most popular
Materials and Design Technologies
- Highly engineered Mahogany & Redwood soundboard to add a touch of attitude
- Lower sustain Morado bridges to produce a more controlled rich and mellow tone
- Wound strings on lower courses
- Exclusive RCE sound hole inlays
- Internal sealant to improve stability in new environments and humidity changes
- Beautiful, dark stained top, or natural finish
- Curly Maple inlaid bridge markers
- Exotic wood endrails (a favorite adornment of Russell’s!)
- Contrasting wood bindings on both endrails
- Contrasting wood corner end cap trim